We’re halfway to Halloween people!! That means we celebrate with more festive cocktails right? Right!
Next up to spook up your month – Zombie Mezcal Margaritas. I zombified my classic marg recipe with a smoky mezcal, secret green zombie antidote, black lava salt, and eyeball skewers. Despite this cocktail’s creepy appearance, it’s delightfully (or should I say devilishly?) delicious.
Mezcal is similar to tequila in that it is made with agave, however in mezcal, the agave is oven roasted which creates its unique smoky flavor. I personally love a mezcal cocktail so long as the smokiness isn’t the only flavor you’re tasting. The perfect ratio of mezcal, lime, and sweetness can create a truly superb drink. That said, if you’re just not a fan of the smokiness, you can absolutely sub tequila for mezcal.
Now what is that secret green zombie antidote? If you’ve followed The California Local blog, you may have guessed it from my St. Patrick’s Day Whiskey Sour recipe. The secret ingredient is….matcha! Now don’t worry, this zombie colored concoction doesn’t add any flavor to this cocktail. Just vigorously whisk a half teaspoon of matcha powder into room temperature mezcal to create a green zombie infected liquor.
My other classic margarita tips – use a quality tequila/mezcal and use freshly squeezed lime juice. I’m especially serious about the lime juice, being lazy on this will make a much-less delicious cocktail. Similarly, bad quality tequila/mezcal will make your margarita taste…well…bad. Quality ingredients = quality cocktails.
With all this mind you can surely bring these creeping zombie cocktails to life! They just might be the perfect cure for (or cause of) a zombie apocalypse. Dare you to try it and find out.
Zombie Mezcal Margaritas
Zombified mezcal margaritas with a touch of smoke and sweetness
- 2 oz mezcal
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 1/2 tsp matcha
- Black Lava Salt
- Two peeled and pitted Lychees
- Two blueberries
- Prepare your eyeball skewers by pushing a blueberry into the center of each lychee to create eyeballs. Skewer the “eyeballs” and set aside.
- Rim a glass with black lava salt and add ice to glass
- Vigorously whisk matcha into room temperature mezcal until the matcha dissolves and the mezcal turns green
- Combine lime juice, simple syrup, Cointreau, and mezcal into a shaker with ice and shake vigorously
- Strain contents of shaker into prepared glass
- Garnish with an “eyeball” skewer